Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Big day in the southern plains

Today's setup is an almost textbook setup for severe thunderstorms in the southern plains states.

Jet streak ejecting, dryline, backed winds, lots of low-level moisture, midlevel drying off the desert southwest, and the list goes on.

I'm in Winnipeg, but were I to pinpoint a target, I would play the area between Wichita, KS and Tulsa, OK. (I know, this isn't prime chase territory, but I'm thinking meteorologically right now--but when we're chasing for real we have to take that into account.)

Why do I like that area? Well, the entire region is primed for storms. Everywhere there are big parameters coming together. The difference is that the centre of the jet streak looks to be just south of there--placing ICT-TUL in the left exit region--enhanced lift and vorticity. I've found that playing the jet often leads to better storms.

Of course, the plains are going to be swarming with chasers today, each one in a different area based on his/her own thoughts of why a given target is better than another.

I'll stick to my guns but I'm also going to go peruse Stormtrack to see what the thoughts are.

For anyone out there chasing today: be safe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home